Friday, September 01, 2006

Friday Night Videos

I discovered the Violent Femmes--as pretty much every other teen of my generation did--in the '80s primarily through the scandalous lyrics of "Add It Up" off their first album. But man, I dug every track on there and became a big fan, snapping up new albums every chance I got. The apex of my love affair with the Femmes came in 1992, when they played the old Deware Field House on the campus of Texas A&M. That remains one of the best concerts I've ever attended. I mean, really, where else are you going to get a 10-minute digiridoo solo?



Gordon Gano is one of those warped geniuses I love so much. The clip above, "American Music," is off their album Why Do Birds Sing? which is on par with their debut disc, widely considered to be their best. It was great in concert, but this video brings a whole new level of subtext to the song. I love it. Enjoy.

Previously on Friday Night Videos... Triumph

Now Playing: Violent Femmes 3

No comments:

Post a Comment