Friday, April 01, 2011

Friday Night Videos

In light of this week's blogging about my Caribbean adventures, it seems only appropriate that this installment of Friday Night Videos feature Amazulu's "Montego Bay". Here's a little confession on my part--until a few days ago, I always thought this was a Madonna song. True story. When it came out in 1986, Madonna was putting out a bunch of singles from soundtracks, and her B-sides were getting copious airplay as well. And "La Isla Bonita" was just a few months from release, so in the midst of all this "Montego Bay" (which got quite a bit of airplay on Houston station KKBQ that summer) sounded just enough like a Madonna B-side that I made an easy assumption. The fact that I was vaguely aware it was a remake (Bobby Bloom hit the charts with the song back in the '70s) fed into my B-side assumptions. And that assumption stuck with me for 25 years. Goodness. Well, credit where credit is due, better late than never and all that stuff.



Previously on Friday Night Videos... Blondie

Now Playing: Derek & the Dominoes Layla 20th Anniversary Collection
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment