Thursday, December 16, 2004

Seems I'm an expert on anything

One of the interesting things I've found about having so many reviews and articles published online is that I get emails--on a surprisingly regular basis--asking for all sorts of help with this that or the other with matters the letter-writer assumes I'm some sort of authority on. A few years back, someone--the History Channel? BBC America?--contacted me about arranging an interview with Tolkien biographer Humphrey Carpenter for a documentary. Me, a guy in Texas. The funny thing is, I got them connected, although it took some doing. A Chinese publisher once asked for an introduction to Gardner Dozois, so they could negotiate reprint rights to his Year's Best anthologies. Just last month, a Portugese publisher asked if I knew how to get ahold of Patricia Anthony, as they were interested in Portugese language rights to her works.

Today, I got an email from a one Mrs. McGuire of Derbyshire. That's in England. Seems that she attended a local theatrical production of an Arthurian-themed play recently, and was quite surprised that the "original production" appeared to be based extensively on Mary Stewart's Arthurian cycle of books. She wanted to know if Lady Stewart was still alive, and if I had contact information. Again, I'm in Texas. As far as I know, she's still alive, but I don't have her phone number in my Rolodex or anything like that. After a bit of Googling, however, I determined that as of a decade or so back, she lived at House of Letterawe, Loch Awe, Scotland. Does this constitute a legitimate address in the U.K.?

In any event, plagiarism is bad. If the playwrite lifted whole sections and dialogue as Mrs. McGuire suspect, said playwrite should be sent to her room without any supper, among other things. However, I must confess a degree of sympathy. I've long felt that Lady Stewart's Arthurian cycle lends itself dramatic presentation. Way back in high school, I adapted scenes from The Wicked Day for solo and duet acting for drama competitions. They worked very, very well, despite my meager acting talent. I'd very much like to take a crack at a full-blow script of that book (as well as the others) some day, so if Lady Stewart is ever of a mind to test the Hollywood waters, I'm easy to get ahold of.

Now Playing: Vince Guaraldi Trio A Charlie Brown Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment