Monday, January 31, 2005

Come aboard--we're expecting you!

So I get this oversided envelope in the mail from Dell Magazines, publishers of Asimov's and Analog, advertising a science fiction cruise aboard the ocean liner Carnival Glory May 21-28 to Mexico and Belize:
"What are you waiting for? You are invited to join us for the First Annual Dell Magazines Science Fiction Cruise."

Hot dog! I've always wanted to take a Caribbbean cruise, and here's a SF group inviting me on just such an animal. All those Armadillocon panels I've shared with Stanley Schmidt and Gardner Dozois have finally started paying off!

Except... I read further, and see the dreaded "fans like you" tag. Uh oh. Then I see the price list. A large outside cabin with balcony can be had for the low, low price of $2,514. Somehow, I don't get the feeling they're inviting me along as a pro. They only want me for my money. *sigh*

Now Playing: Talking Heads Little Creatures

2 comments: