Thursday, March 10, 2005

Promotional update

Nebraska has sent me a complete listing of all the media outlets and individual reviewers who the publisher has sent review copies of Voices of Vision to. I know that the books have reached their respective destinations, because at last count, there were no fewer than 18 offered up for sale as "used" or "nearly new" at Amazon. sigh. Nobody warned me about this, that some recipients would hawk the copies online before they even got the book unwrapped. Naturally, I expected some to wind up in used book store, but out of sight, out of mind, you know?

Besides that, I'm fairly impressed with Nebraska's efforts. More than a hundred review copies have gone out to almost as many reviewers and/or venues. Some are names I suggested, others Nebraska came up with on their own (and some are places I never would've thought of). Recipients include Publisher's Weekly, Science Fiction Studies, Locus, Minnesota Public Radio... interesting places, which I may or may not have a decent shot of getting a writeup in. One destination, The New York Times Book Review, signifies an act of boundless optimism on my publisher's part, however. Books like Voices of Vision simply do not get reviewed there. But that's sort of like winning the lottery, I suppose--the benefits of winning are such that you almost have to take a shot at it, even though you know the odds are obscenely long.

I'm hoping that some reviews (positive, I'd like to think) start popping up in the next few weeks. Well see. As of now, the book's listing over at Amazon still lacks so much as a single reader comment.

Now Playing: The Kinks Sleepwalker

No comments:

Post a Comment