Friday, March 03, 2006

Greatest DVD deal ever

If you have a Hastings near where you live, run--don't walk--there post hast. They've got the most awesome DVD sale going on. Well, it's not exactly a sale. It's more like a bin, filled with two-packes of some of the worst science fiction movies ever made. The kicker? They're going for the bargain price of $1.99. Look at the beauty I grabbed:



I watched Gamera all the time as a kid, on those Saturday morning "Creature Features" that gave me my Godzilla fix and had King Kong duking it out with his robot double. I always though Gamera was pretty cool with those tusks, even if the movies themselves were more than a little goofy. I remember watching "Destroy All Planets" about a dozen times, and even saw "Attack of the Monsters" a time or two. "Gammera the Invincible" is new to me, though. Re-watching "Attack of the Monsters" with Calista, I realize the film's even dumber than I remember. And the special effects are so shoddy they make Tojo's Godzilla flicks look like masterworks from ILM in comparison. I mean, is this great stuff or what?

Even better are the other movies they have in that bin. It took all of my self control not to load up on all of 'em right then and there. Judge for yourself:



I ask you, how can a sane human being not look at "Warning from Space" and not be captivated by Japanese actors in green starfish costumes with big eyeballs on their bellies? Any DC Comics fan worth his salt would grab it for the Starro the Conqueror/Evil Star connotations, if nothing else. And that doesn't even take into account "They Came from Beyond Space" on the same disc! And the other disc, oh boy. Peter Graves? I'm so there. An added bonus is Robot Monster's poor cousin from the sticks getting his own chance to shine in "Phantom from Space." I'm telling you, gang, any one of these films would be a bargain at twice the price, but two movies for $1.99? Heck, you can't even pirate 'em that cheaply...

Now Playing: Dave Davies Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment