Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Da Vinci post-mortem

Lisa and I went to see The Da Vinci Code Sunday, and were amused greatly by the priest telling the parishoners during mass that no good Catholic should ever, ever see The Da Vinci Code or read the book. I told Lisa I should be so lucky to have the Catholic Church denounce my book--I'd rocket right up the bestseller lists. Lisa promised to write irate letters to the Archbishop when my novel comes out, so that made me feel better.

As for the movie itself, eh. Apart from some truly abyssmal history--and I don't know if I can blame that on the book or the filmmakers--it was generally an entertaining conspiracy thriller. Except for the final 30 minutes or so. Geeze Louise, but was that thing ever going to end? "Yeah, yeah, yeah, we get it: Tom Hanks' investigating partner just happens to be the last living descendent of Christ. Roll credits already!"

Personally, I think any religion that is so fragile as to be seriously threatened by a film/book such as this doesn't deserve to exist. And people so dumb as to be taken in by a film/book such as this don't deserve to exist, either. So by my scorecard, it's a wash.

Now Playing: Jerry Jeff Walker Viva Terlingua!

No comments:

Post a Comment