Thursday, August 30, 2007

Just like drinking boiling oil. Only slightly less viscous.

Since I labeled and put up all those bottles of Thorn in My Hive the other day (which I've pretty much decided will henceforth be designated as a "dessert wine." Seriously, it's that sweet) I turned my idle mind toward the remaining bottles of fermented honey stacked up in my office. The spicy, jalapeño metheglin caught my attention (actually, it throttled the mint and shouted "Me! Me!"). Here's the result.

JalapenoMetheglin


As I've said before, this stuff starts out sweet, but that's merely a Trojan horse. Once it gets past the lips and tongue, just as you're swallowing and it's too late to do anything else, one heck of an afterburn kicks in. And it's not the warm, rounded burn of cooked jalapeño either--the is the razor-sharp crispness of the raw chili peppers. I've eaten hotter salsa happily, but the incongruity of this mead leads me to think it won't be a huge hit with the wine and cheese crowd. I suspect it'll make an awesome cooking wine, though, and have some wild duck in the freezer I hope to marinate with this Liquid Heat in the near future. Will keep everyone posted.

Now Playing: Pat Benatar Best Shots

No comments:

Post a Comment