Wednesday, December 19, 2007

My boss is sick

My boss is sick. Not so much anymore, but still enough to make a difference.

You may have noticed (or not) that postings here have been somewhat sparse since the beginning of November. The second week of November my boss came down with the flu, or perhaps a case of that mutant cold strain that's hospitalized a bunch of soldiers in San Antonio and killed a dozen people across the country. Either way, it hammered him hard (along with several other folks that work around us). Once it looked like he was recovering, some secondary complications with preexisting medical conditions set in, laying him out from then until... well, he's still out, but getting better.

The long and short of it is that I've been running the office in his absence. And when you're the only person left in a two-person office that is already woefully understaffed, "swamped" isn't the word to describe it. The end result is that I'm working longer hours, much more drained in the evenings and doing very little writing--bloggish, fictionalish or non-fictionalish.

The good news is that I've somehow managed to keep the ship afloat and highers-up in the university's admin have made approving noises. The bad news is that, well, I'm worn out. That's why I haven't posted any updates on my "Shoals of Cibola" progress--there isn't any. But the big holiday break is coming up for me, and my boss hopes to be back in the office come January. Fingers are crossed that I'll be able to get a bit of writing done between now and then.

Now Playing: Brian Wilson Imagination

No comments:

Post a Comment