Friday, April 04, 2008

Nile Crocodile

There's a new "Africa Live!" section open at the San Antonio Zoo, and they've just recently added a young Nile crocodile. It was lurking in the water, not offering much to shoot, when it suddenly decided to climb out and start sunning itself. I started clicking away, zooming in tight for close-up, zooming out for full-body shots, the works. I wasn't sure if anything would be good, so I went with the shotgun approach.

I like this one because 1) the croc fills most of the frame and B) it's in a pose you don't normally see them in. I think the composition works, striking a nice asymmetrical balance. I was using my Canon 75-300mm. The image isn't cropped. Post-processing consisted of lightening the image and improving contrast slightly. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how much color there is--at the time of shooting, I thought I was getting gray on gray.

NileCroc


Now Playing:

No comments:

Post a Comment