Monday, October 27, 2008

Costumed tomfoolery

I won a Halloween costume contest yesterday. As Hern the Hunter of British myth and legend.

HalloweenContest102608


"Where's your costume?" you ask. Har har. Yeah, I've heard that one before.

The Gruene Lions Club held a Halloween carnival at Landa Park in New Braunfels, complete with a costume contest and prizes. There were about a hundred million bazillion kids in costume, from ages 0-15, with everyone above that competing in the adult division. Some very inventive outfits were on display--more than I'd expected from New Braunfels on a Sunday afternoon a week before the trick-or-treat day. When push came to shove, however, I lucked out and won first place in the adult division. This wasn't a forgone conclusion, though. Take a look at the second-place winner.

HalloweenContest2_102608


Don't feel too bad for the alien--he won a $100 gas card. The question is whether or not his flying saucer runs on regular or unleaded. The M.C. asked me what I was going to do with the prize money. Rather than repeat the stale "pay bills" or "blow it" mantra, I blurted out (in character) that I'd put it toward establishing a game preserve, then spontaneously thanked all the Park Police in attendance for strictly enforcing all out-of-season hunting ordinances. It got a laugh, and I managed to hobble off the stage without impaling anyone. I also lost about 20 pounds due to sweat. I'm telling you, that getup is hot. All in all, a successful day.

Now Playing: Sheena Easton No Strings

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:47 PM

    I was wondering what that character was in the background on your blog. I am guessing this costume is he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:16 PM

    Costume quite gross = a winner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:26 PM

    What - no pirate costume?

    I was excited to receive notification from Amazon today that my copy of Fast Ships Black Sails has been shipped.

    Excellent Hern costume.

    ReplyDelete