Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Crushing blow

Well, it's not that bad, but it feels like the end of the world to me right at this moment. I'll get over it, but damn.

I found an article on the Chicken Ranch. A great article. In a historical journal, very well-written and thoroughly researched, documented with footnotes and everything else a researcher like myself could ask for. A significant portion of the article referenced interviews conducted with local folks in La Grange in the late 1970s, interviews which--judging from the fleeting references in the article--fill in significant gaps in my own research. Sure, a bunch of the interviews are anonymous, but even so, they're valuable as such. So I track down the author and fire off an email, asking how I can get access to the tapes and/or transcripts.

The response is apologetic, but tells me that since the majority of the interviews were anonymous, nobody saw any value in them and they were subsequently thrown away.

Can somebody tell me how, for the love of Pete, you can footnote something to a specific source, then destroy that said source so it can't be referenced? From my vantage point, there's precious little difference between that and simply making stuff up.

Egads, I think I'm going to throw up.

Now Playing: Rush Chronicles

1 comment:

  1. Sort of like NASA erasing the moon landing tapes, right?

    ReplyDelete