Monday, May 24, 2010

Photoshoot

Being married to a talented photographer (aka The Wife) has kept me busy trying to improve my photography skills, so that I can A) be a reliable assistant for her when needed, but mostly B) don't embarrass her. While I have fun with infrared, macro and astro photography, I occasionally do trade shoots with aspiring models from Model Mayhem, since photographing people is more relevant to what The Wife does. I received a request through a mutual friend from a guy who wanted a trade shoot. A college student, he has modeling aspirations and needed some basic, competent images for his portfolio. I've never shot a man before, and although I had no clear idea of what techniques to use or poses to try, I figured I'd shotgun it and see if anything stood out. Making it up as I go along is one of my specialties, it seems.

Shawn2web


In an effort to craft a more masculine, testosterone-soaked image for him (as opposed to the more feminine styles I'm used to from working with female models) we headed to an alley in San Marcos. I forgot to splash him with water to create the illusion of a sweaty, grungy street fighter, but the final result didn't turn out half bad. This is one of the few shots I've done that matched up pretty closely with my original vision.

ShawnCollage


We were wrapping up a series of shots on a grassy lawn after a wardrobe change, and almost as an afterthought I told him "Hold up your hand toward the camera, like you're gripping something between your fingers and thumb." I didn't know if this would work out, but I'd seen Photoshopped images in this style before, and wanted to give it a shot. The project ended up consuming much more time than I expected and a greater number of different photos than planned, but damn, I have to admit the end result exceeded my expectations. The Wife's as well, as even she admitted she was impressed with the final product--so much so that she took my photo shoot and built a promo video for it. Too cool. Enjoy.


Blue Öyster CultNow Playing: Blue Öyster Cult Workshop of the Telescopes

No comments:

Post a Comment