Monday, July 01, 2013

147/365: Lutea foliage

Last fall, the family and I made our annual pilgrimage to the Texas Renaissance Festival. Whilst there, amongst all the jousting and grogging and wenching, I discovered to my delight an extensive growth of passiflora lutea. Now lutea is a small, unassuming passion flower type with small, subtle yellow flowers that can easily be overlooked. This plant not only had a bunch of the little flowers in bloom, but was heavy with ripe fruit. Decaloba-type fruit are about the size of blueberries and generally inedible, but full of seeds. I collected several and after a few months of refrigeration for stratification of the seeds, I planted them. And I've been rewarded with a bunch of little lutea seedlings sprouting for me.

passiflora lutea, passion flowers, 365 photo project, Lisa On Location photography, New Braunfels, San Marcos, San Antonio, Austin

Lutea, as I mentioned, isn't a flashy passiflora species, but it is a Texas native, and I'm happy to add it to my collection.

passiflora lutea, passion flowers, 365 photo project, Lisa On Location photography, New Braunfels, San Marcos, San Antonio, Austin

Camera: Canon 7D
Lens: Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Lisa On Location

Now Playing: Three Dog Night Joy to the World: Their Greatest Hits
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment