Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Chicken Ranch report no. 61: BEHOLD THE COVER IN ALL ITS MAJESTY!

Let's just cut to the chase--I've just gotten the final cover from my publisher, History Press, and it's a beaut:

Inside the Texas Chicken Ranch: The Definitive Account of the Best Little Whorehouse

I took a great deal of interest in the cover design, because I know first-hand how a terrible, inappropriate cover and outright tank a book's sales. Amazingly enough, History Press pulled me into the process early on--far moreso than I'd expected or was even prepared for. It helps that they've got a very lean operation there. My editor, Christen Thompson, and I bounced ideas back and forth for quite a while before coming up with some broad parameters. I didn't want a cluttered, montage cover. I wanted it to have a coherent, unified concept. I didn't want it to be plain black and white. Some of their covers can be described as such, and I didn't feel that would work for this subject matter. What the designer came up with fit within the discussions I had with my editor, but wow, did it surprise me! I think it's bright and fun and eye-catching. I believe it "pops," to use the technical term. It's a strong cover, and to say I'm happy with it would be an understatement.

Inside the Texas Chicken Ranch: The Definitive Account of the Best Little Whorehouse

I'm very happy with the back cover as well. How could I not be? It's active but clean at the same time, and that glorious blurb from former Lt. Governor Bill Hobby is a thing of beauty. That recommendation is the Platonic ideal of book blurbs. And to think one prospective publisher was scared off by it (long story). I'm almost as proud of that quote as I am of the book itself, and am forever grateful for the kindness and support Hobby has shown me during this long process.

Oh, I also finished my page proofs this week and returned them to my editor, which means I am done will all the book-making obligations on my part. From here on out, it's the publisher handling the printing aspect. August 1 is the date, folks. Mark your calendars and spread the word! Seriously--show this cover to everyone you know so they can take part in the eager anticipation!

Title: Inside the Texas Chicken Ranch: The Definitive Account of the Best Little Whorehouse
Author: Jayme Lynn Blaschke
Publication Date: August 1, 2016
ISBN: 978.1.46713.563.4

And remember, Ghosts of the Chicken Ranch is still available if you just can't wait for August 1 to get here:

Now Playing: Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show Sloppy Seconds
Chicken Ranch Central

2 comments: