Thursday, October 20, 2016

Austin ahead, Houston behind

Okay, this report's a little late in coming, but my signing last weekend at River Oaks Bookstore went very well. The folks at the bookstore greeted me warmly, but warned me that there was some sort of event/show down the street that might siphon off potential customers to the store. If nobody showed up, they assured me, it wouldn't be my fault. They needn't have worried--there was a nice, steady flow of folks coming in the entire time I was there. One couple saw my blog post on Facebook and stopped by to ask about the historical marker efforts. They bought a book, then browsed a little. Then came back and bought another for a Christmas present for a friend, then browsed some more. Then came back and bought another one for another friend. I love folks like that. One gentleman came by who'd visited the Chicken Ranch back in the day and shared some stories. I also got to meet the former book editor of the late, lamented Houston Post and a retired lawyer who'd represented some of the Enron VPs in their post-bankruptcy trials (let's just say the "smartest guys in the room" weren't). I signed a bunch of books and signed a bunch of stock for them, and also learned they'd sold quite a few copies of Inside the Texas Chicken Ranch since it's release, unrelated to my signing. The fact that I actually interviewed Miss Edna for the book seems to be the key selling point. Have I mentioned how much I love indy book sellers who hand-sell my book? Because I do!

My signing schedule eases up a lot from here on out, but I do have one big event coming up. I'll be signing at the Arcadia/History Press booth at the Texas Book Festival 12:30-2:30 p.m. on November 5 and 2-4 p.m. on November 6. Additional times are possible as well, but those are the times you know you'll be able to find me there. See you at the capitol!

Inside the Texas Chicken Ranch: The Definitive Account of the Best Little Whorehouse is now available from both Amazon.com and BarnesAndNoble.com. It's also available as an ebook in the following formats: Kindle, Nook, Google Play, iBooks and Kobo.

Now Playing: Dr. Demento Show October 15, 2000
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment