Friday, July 26, 2019

Friday Night Videos

Friday Night Videos

Anyone who's paid attention to me at all over the past 35-plus years will know I'm a fan of the Kinks. Huge fan. In 1984 I missed my one chance to see them live in the Sam Houston Coliseum by two days (although I've since caught Ray's solo show and almost saw Dave solo as well). I appreciate a good cover, but unfortunately most covers are either slavish remakes or distort the original song so much the integral essence of what made it special in the first place. That's why Mikaela Davis' cover of "David Watts" has me gobsmacked: her interpretation is so fresh and original and true to the original that I still find it hard to wrap my head around what she's accomplished. Bravo!

Previously on Friday Night Videos... João Gilberto.

Now Playing: The Police Message in a Box
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment