Monday, August 02, 2021

A Moment of Tiki: Lighting & Clairin Vaval

I'm catching up with two episodes today. First up is Episode 31 of A Moment of Tiki, my August installment which is now live on the YouTubes! This time out I walk viewers through two different approaches to home tiki bar lighting. One is decidedly low-tech, and the other is not quite as low-tech, but still involves off-the-shelf components. When someone starts working on a home tiki bar, the natural inclination is to focus mainly on the wall coverings--I know I did! But the lighting you choose has as much, if not more, impact on the environment. An 80s ceiling fixture or a bare bulb does nothing to further the illusion of a tropical getaway. Fortunately, there are many avenues available for the homeowner to tikify the available lighting. A little bit of basic electrical knowledge doesn't hurt, either.

The other video I have for you is my installment for July, Episode 30, which I didn't get around to posting here when it went live because I was in the middle of a Southwest/West Coast road trip. On this episode of A Moment of Tiki I offer my thoughts on Clairin Vaval, an unaged spirit distilled from the fermented juice of Madame Meuze sugar cane. It is sold by La Maison & Velier. I don't do a lot of straight rum tastings because I don't feel my palate is developed enough to offer insightful commentary most of the time, but this one's special. Here are a few stats to get you started: Clairin Vaval is a 2018 vintage sugar cane juice rhum, produced by Distillery Arawaks in Cavaillon, Haiti. Bottled at 48.7% ABV (pot still proof). Wild yeast fermentation. My biggest tasting note is that it is not unlike licking a 9-volt battery. For reals.

Now Playing: Henry Mancini Instrumental Favorites
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment