Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Eulogy for Claudia

Our friend Claudia Cabrera has died. This comes as an unexpected shock, and I'm still processing it. The last time anyone spoke with her was sometime on Friday, Nov. 5. By Monday, friends and co-workers had become concerned, and she was found Monday evening. Her next of kin have been notified, and her cats are being taken care of until they can be placed in a new home. Beyond that I have no further information on her passing.

I met Claudia on Facebook the summer of 2019. She was a German chef who'd just arrived in San Antonio fro San Francisco to work for Whole Foods. In San Francisco, she'd supplied cocktail syrups to a number of tiki bars in the Bay Area, notably Zombie Village. I invited her to a tiki party we were hosting that September. She responded by gifting me an assortment of her custom, scratch-made cocktail syrups:

  1. Saigon Shrub (cilantro, jalapeño, cucumber, vinegar)
  2. Five Spice - Szechuan pepper, cloves, fennel, cinnamon, star anise
  3. Fassionola - Yellow peach, rambutan, fresh passionfruit
  4. Grapefruit / Smoked Pepper
  5. Finger Lime / Calamondin
Do they look good? Because they were. All had a flavorful pop and distinctive profiles that can't be found in off-the-shelf products. She was also a skilled jeweler and made some stylish, mid-century-style glass swizzles. She was a woman of many talents.

After that, she became a regular guest at our tiki parties and dive-in movies. She was friendly and open and very, very opinionated. She didn't drive, so arranging rides to and from San Antonio was always a bit of a challenge, but we almost always had someone from there driving in and they were invariably happy to spend a little extra time with Claudia.

When she found out Hugman's Oasis was in the works on the River Walk, she was over the moon. She applied to work there as a chef, making syrups and garnishes. I think she was the only person in the state who wasn't confident she'd get the job. She fretted over her interview. (Spoiler alert: She got the job). Then COVID hit, resetting the clock on everything. Having departed Whole Foods, she launched a business as a private chef and delighted by how quickly she was in demand. And she kept a hand in Hugman's development--literally. Claudia hand-tied the netting on every single glass fish float in that tiki bar. I seem to recall her saying she expected it to take about three weeks, and in the end it took three months. She invested a lot of herself into that bar. And every time I go I can't help but look at those floats and see a little bit of Claudia still there.

The strange thing is, Lisa and I didn't know her that well. Certainly not well enough to account for this outsized hole she's left in our lives. I have a suspicion that we're not alone in those feelings.

Now Playing: Various artists Technicolor Paradise
Chicken Ranch Central

7 comments:

  1. So very sad... but your kind words about her are a great way for those of us who didnt know her well to get a sense of who she was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:58 AM

    So glad to read about her Tiki and Texas connections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob Tree5:04 PM

    I used to work with Claudia at Whole Foods Market…I have just discovered this after not hearing from her for quit some time, and I am deeply saddened.
    This women was amazing, and had so much to offer us and the world with her passion and knowledge.
    I will miss her greatly, and am so thankful for all the words of wisdom she’s left with me.
    Thank you Claudia…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Jacob. Cause of death was ruled ketoacidosis, a complication of her recently diagnosed (and mostly uncontrolled) diabetes. 😥

      Delete
  4. Josie1:38 PM

    Claudia’s Whole Foods friends in San Antonio are just learning of this heartbreaking news. We are saddened beyond words. She was an amazing and generous soul who will stay in my heart always. I thought she was upset with me cuz I was working too much and declined her invites to hang out and that is why she didn’t answer my texts. We texted a couple of weeks before she passed and she seemed to be healing fine from the accident. I feared she was ill the last time I saw her and she was so frail looking but she insisted the weight loss came from all the water she started drinking -a sign of diabetes-and said she felt great. We went to Wurstfest together and had so much fun.,,she spent Thanksgiving 2019 at my house and I had many nights of food and fun at her lil tiki apartment. I met all her tiki friends on her birthday on the Riverwalk one year and everyone was so great. She was surrounded by love❤️Rest in peace Tiki Princess 👑
    I hope Ping Pong and Waffle found a loving home🥲

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mollie Perez10:04 PM

    I first met Claudia at whole foods in san antonio. I remember thinking how intimidating she came off but boy, was I wrong. 😂


    She was so full of life. A woman of many talents, and a laugh that was so contagious. She stood out in a room with her colorful clothing, tattoos and awesome style.

    A fav memory was when she invited me to a tiki event in Austin/Oct 2019. We were able to talk and enjoy ourselves and there was never a dull moment on the drive.

    I'm so glad I was able to get to know her even if it was briefly.

    Rest In Peace Sweet Claudia
    🌺🕊🕯🍹🌺

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:22 AM

    I am so saddened to just hear of Claudia's passing. She made a great impact on me in the time we met at whole foods in San Antonio. I will always miss her smile and beautiful strong personality. Love you chica. Till we meet again. Lulu

    ReplyDelete