Saturday, November 27, 2004

Wait 'til next year

I won't deny that I'm disappointed the Aggies lost to t.u. 26-13, especially after Jonte Buhl returned a fumble 98 yard for a touchdown to end the first half, giving A&M a 13-6 lead. But considering the fact the sips fielded a team that's ranked no. 5 in the nation, the game was played in Austin, and the Aggies are just one year removed from last season's disastrous 4-8 mark, I'll say the improvement has been remarkable.

Now we get to sit back and wait to see if the Aggies play in the Holiday Bowl against Arizona State or in the Alamo Bowl against Ohio State. Those are both good bowls against solid opponents. Either should be a good matchup for A&M, more winnable than LSU or Georgia would've been in the Cotton Bowl. I'd rather the team's 7-4 record be a bit better (that Baylor loss still rankles) but winning the final game against such a well-regarded opponent would be a good way to end the season. And next year, with another strong recruiting class on campus, I really like our chances against the sips at Kyle Field...

Now Playing: Smithfield Fair Winds of Time

3 comments:

  1. As an old (real old) tu grad, I'm afraid I like the Aggies's chances next year, too. Benson will be gone, as will several key defensive players.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an insufferable sip, I find you fair to tolerable, Bill. Five years is a good run by any measure. I'm hoping the loss of Cedric leads to a few sleepless nights over in Austin-- I mean, really. What team loses a once-in-a-lifetime player like Ricky Williams, only to replace him with one every bit as good? Lightning can't strike thrice for Mack, can it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way, I'm afraid. But if Mack had just recruited that Peterson guy that the Okies got, you'd be in big trouble.

    ReplyDelete