Wednesday, February 07, 2007

American Idol

I'd fallen away from American Idol the last few years, mainly because I've been too busy with other things to watch. So I missed out on the whole "Soul Patrol" and "McPhever" hype last year. But yesterday I tuned in, because the bad singer tour was wrapping up in San Antonio, and the girls always like watching people who sing so awful it's funny.

The highlight of the night was the final singer, though. Jimmy McNeal told the judges he was going to sing Sam Cooke's "Cupid," but started belting out Cooke's "Another Saturday Night." I was thinking "What the...?" and wondering if he couldn't tell the difference between Cooke's songs. I didn't care, though, because I love "Another Saturday Night" and McNeal was nailing it up one side and down the other. Then he finishes the chorus and brilliantly segues into the promised "Cupid." Amazing. McNeal was easily the best of the night, and should at least reach the final eight in the show, unless he stumbles badly somewhere along the line.

To top it off, he's a student here at Texas State. I knew there was one supposed to be on the show, but kept looking for a San Marcos hometown listing, whereas McNeal was listed as Waxahachie. I strongly suspect I'll be watching a lot more American Idol this season...

Now Playing: Peter Gabriel US

No comments:

Post a Comment