Friday, February 09, 2007

Friday Night Videos

The video may not be the most original to grace the airwaves, but Emerson, Lake and Powell's lone hit from 1986, "Touch and Go," is a keeper. It's long forgotten, mostly because Cozy Powell died and Palmer rejoined the band before the alternate lineup ever did anything else, but still, if you're only going to produce one memorable song, this one's a pretty good one to settle for.



Incidentally, "Touch and Go" is included in the "Return of the Manticore" boxed set, but it's a re-recording with Palmer on drums. It's re-orchestrated to a degree as well, and while listenable, it doesn't quite measure up to the original.

Previously on Friday Night Videos... Sly Fox.

Now Playing: Supertramp Classics

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:39 PM

    I had that album. The only other truly memorable piece (at least, that I can remember *now*) was their take on Holst's "Mars, The Warbringer".

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'd heard. I never got the album, though--I only had the single. Still, I'm tempted to track it down on eBay to hear their take on "Mars." I've always liked ELP's versions of "Pictures at an Exhibition" and "Hoedown."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:34 PM

    "Mars" is such an instantly recognizable piece of music to genre fans that it's really hard to muck it up...heh.

    ReplyDelete