Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Not really running for president

This is obviously coming at least a day later than it should have, but some kind of virulent plague is running through our household and I literally spent all of Sunday night and Monday morning walking with Orion trying to sleep on my shoulder, because whenever he'd lie down, the congestion would block his breathing. And today Lisa's picked up the same thing, pretty much. And my right ear is numb. Doubtful the ear is related to the other afflictions, but it feels downright weird.

So, by now you've probably twigged to the fact that my announcement of running as a write-in candidate for SFWA president was an April Fool's gag. Jeff VanderMeer put me up to it, along with the dozen or so other folks online who played along. I'm still particularly proud of mine, not just because of the fact that a number of folks bought it and got behind my presidential bid--but also because several people bought it and got behind my presidential bid after they'd already learned of others doing the same as an April Fool's joke.

So how'd does one achieve such verisimilitude? First, lay your cards on the table with a straight face. Wink-wink, nudge-nudge gives it away every time. Second, it helps if you remember pretty much all the big push-button SFWA flamewar issues from the past 30 years. Take these issues, tweak them just enough to seem modern in appearance, and serve them up for people to fume over. Thank you, and good night.

Now Playing: The Police Message in a Box

No comments:

Post a Comment