Monday, November 05, 2007

Flavicarpa!

Lookie what bloomed for me yesterday:

Flavicarpa


Passiflora edulis var. flavicarpa. Edulis is the commercial species of passion fruit. Edulis var. edulis is the purple-fruited variety, which you'll sometimes see in the produce department of high end grocery stores. Flavicarpa, on the other hand, produces a yellow fruit and is usually used for juice. This is the first time I've had any type of edulis flower for me, and I'm quite happy with it. Unfortunately, my foetida var. gossypiifolia is the only other passion flower blooming right now, and the two species aren't pollen compatible. I've attempted to hand-pollinate the flavicarpa with some p. gibertii pollen I had stored, but that pollen is old, so I'm not holding my breath.

But, anyway, yay!

Now Playing: The Beastie Boys License to Ill

No comments:

Post a Comment