Friday, January 04, 2008

No, but thanks for asking

The other day someone asked if I had a story coming out in Gardner Dozois' next Year's Best collection. While I'm quite pleased with my stories published in 2007, I suspect that I'd have been contacted by now if any of the "Best Of" volumes put out by various parties was interested in my work. So I said no, but asked why they'd think such things were in the offing? I was pointed to the following quote from Dozois himself on the Asimov's discussion boards:
Depending on who you count as "new," I saw good stuff this year from Chris Roberson, Ted Kosmatka, Vandana Singh, Neil Williamson, Justin Stanchfield, C.W. Johnson, Sarah K. Castle, Alistte de Boddard, Jayme Lynn Blaschke, Steven Francis Murphy, Marguerite Reed,Ekaterina Sedia,Andrew Kail, Beth Bernobich, and, if they still count as new,Paolo Bacigalupi, David Moles, Elizabeth Bear, and Benjamin Rosenbaum.

Well, that was a nice, unexpected ego-boost. One can hope that an honorable mention or two might be forthcoming. Maybe if I ever figure out how to write shorter stories instead of the over-long epics I currently to I'll even get into one of the year-end retrospectives some day.

Now Playing: The Mamas and the Papas The Best of the Mamas and the Papas

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you'll get an HM, Jayme!

    BTW, how about posting a list of ALL your stories publshed in 2007?

    ReplyDelete