Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Back after the crash

Windows XP did a number on me this past weekend. I can't say I was entirely surprised. Various instabilities had manifested themselves in various maddening ways over the past couple of months, culminating in the system refusing to recognize USB connections a while back. Which prompted the now-infamous Best Buy incident and its unexpected aftermath. Ultimately, I did get all of my data transferred onto an external hard drive, with the plan being to reinstall Windows XP as soon as I took care of a few details.

Well, Windows decided to save me the stress of taking care of those little details that I'd been putting off. Powering up on Saturday resulted in the "Blue Screen of Death" with critical errors in the operating system. Nothing for it but to reinstall. Everything. So for much of Sunday and a decent chunk of Monday we've been rebuilding and restoring all the programs, plug-ins and whatnot that once populated my desktop. All seems in order, but if McAffee pops up one more time demanding I register, only to tell me I've already registered at the end of the process, I may just chunk it all.

Now Playing: Ravel The Best of Ravel

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. My laptop is off in Geeksquadland right now. I totally feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete