Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Racking the mead

I racked the current batch of mead over the weekend, finally. If you'll recall from the last installment, I'd racked and added medium toast French oak chips to the mead, with the intent of letting it age two weeks before racking. Obviously I overshot the mark by about a week. Hopefully, that's not going to adversely affect the final taste--as I've never played with oak before, I'm uncertain how long is too long, or too short for that matter. We shall see what we shall see.

As for the mead itself, the maypop is clearing out very easily. It's a pale yellow, and growing more transparent by the day. There are very few suspended solids in this one. It'll be ready for bottling soon. The blueberry, on the other hand, is going to need some help. It's clearer than it was last time around, but is still closer to translucent than transparent. The color is a lovely reddish-purple, however, so I'm going to have to collect a good number of clear bottles in which to show it off.

Now Playing: Sting Mercury Falling

No comments:

Post a Comment