Monday, August 18, 2008

Ahoy! Pirates off the port bookshelf!

And I only thought Armadillocon, blogging and photography had me busy. What's one more tight deadline amongst friends? Last night I had the happy discovery of the VanderMeers-edited pirate anthology proof for Fast Ships, Black Sails show up in my inbox. Ooooh! Lookie here--there's Kage Baker, Michael Moorcock, Howard Waldrop, Garth Nix... Uh oh. Suddenly my name and story there in the table of contents is looking mighty small and pretentious. This is one ringer of an anthology, and I feel like a AA utility infielder called up to the show just before the playoffs. I feel the need to re-watch "Bull Durhan" and take notes on Crash Davis' words of wisdom to Nuke.

Fast Ships Black Sails cover


Pretty darn sweet cover art tho, ain't it? And the stories--those I've managed to read, so far, at any rate--are mighty impressive. You will simply not believe what Waldrop does with his alotted pages... although if you're familiar with Howard's literary M.O., you'll probably see it as the only story Howard could've possibly written given the subject matter.

Anyway, no more time for idle blogging. I've got to get my edits back to the editors post-haste.

Now Playing: Dire Straits Money for Nothing

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:08 PM

    Okay - I just pre-ordered my copy from Amazon. It was bad enough being left hanging after you only read the beginning of your story at Apollocon. Taunting us about all the other great stories in the anthology is just plain mean - especially when it doesn't come out for almost two months. Of course, now you'll never know if your faithful blog followers are all rushing out to buy the book because or your story or because we want to read one of the other stories that you mentioned....

    ReplyDelete