Friday, August 22, 2008

Goosebumps!

I made myself promise (to myself) that I'd never get worked up over individual politicians. It seems that every time I let myself get inspired by someone, they pull some stupid crap that leaves me disillusioned (re: Bill Clinton, John Edwards). Fine. That Obama's a nice enough fellow, and while I'm voting for him this fall, I still long for Al Gore's name on the November ballot. That is, until I read this.

For those of you outside of Central Texas and scratching your heads over this dark horse VP candidate, let me clear up any doubt: Chet Edwards is probably the best thing to happen to politics since Mr. Smith made his famous trip to Washington. I lived in Chet's district for a decade, and I've never seen a representative that's more concerned and accessible to his constituency. When I worked at Scott & White Hospital, I heard plenty of nasty things about him, but that's mainly because the physicians and Board of Trustees Chairman Drayton McLane, Jr., were (are) staunch Republicans offended by the fact they were represented by a popular moderate Democrat. Their ire was so great, that during the infamous 2003 redistricting battle, Chet was one of the Republicans' top targets to gerrymander out of office. So they stripped away some of the most liberal-leaning populations in his District 17 and instead added portions of Bryan and College Station, home of Texas A&M University and one of the most conservative communities in a deeply red state. Only the Republicans didn't do their homework--Chet's an Aggie, and knew how to talk to the Maroon-blooded masses. He's won re-election twice now by surprisingly comfortable margins. Essentially, the Republicans gave the most reliably conservative area of the state to the only Democrat that could reliably win it. Wow.

Chet's a really, really good guy. Seriously. My wife--at the time a die-hard Republican--interviewed him during the '96 campaign (actually spent several hours with him at an informal town hall-type event) and came away as big a fan of his as I am. We even got Christmas cards from Chet and his family for a couple of years after that. He just an incredibly nice, pragmatic, smart, attentive and concerned person. He's moderate, no matter what Republicans will have you believe--you can't represent Fort Hood, the nation's largest military base, for a decade and be a flaming left-wing moonbat--and knows how to get things done.

Heck, I'm so pie-in-the-sky giddy over this that I broke down and emailed Chet this letter not 15 minutes ago:
Howdy Mr. Edwards,

You were my representative while I lived in Temple from 1992-2002. I was a reporter at the Temple Telegram most of that time (as was my wife). Around 1996-97, I suffered a phone slamming incident and contacted your office about it. Although not an issue your office could deal with directly, you phoned me personally and advised me on a course of action. I'd had a favorable impression of you before, but your taking a personal interest in my plight really impressed me, and I've been a fan ever since.

I've long argued with anyone who'd listen that you've sold yourself and Texas short by not seeking statewide office. Society needs more people like you. I don't know if these rumors of your being Obama's VP selection are mere smoke and mirrors or have actual substance, but let me say that you would be a fantastic choice. It would be an honor and a privilege to be able to vote for you once again.

Gig 'em,

Jayme Blaschke '92

Geeze, I got goosebumps just reading that again. You folks may not know Chet, but that's because he's not interested in self-aggrandizement. He keeps his head down, does his job, and does it well. He's a good egg. He'll be good for our county, and whether Obama tabs him or not, I'm encouraged that his name is at least in the mix.

Now Playing: Pink Floyd Meddle

2 comments:

  1. I love stories like that about politicians. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should be so lucky as to have Edwards on the ticket. Maybe it could happen, but I'm a pessimist.

    ReplyDelete