Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Do you remember the Chicken Ranch?

So, there it is. Do you remember the Chicken Ranch? And by that question, I don't mean "Do you vaguely recall it existed at one point," or "Have you seen the Burt Reynolds/Dolly Parton movie, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." I'm looking for folks with actual, genuine first-hand knowledge of the famed brothel in La Grange, Texas. This would include former clients, former employees, post-Marvin Zindler landowners, Dallas-area restauranteurs, townsfolk, neighbors, law enforcement, relatives... anybody with a story, memory or recollection to tell regarding the history of what is, quite possibly, the world's most famous bordello.

I want to interview you. I'm not certain what form this project will ultimately take, but I'm not one for doing things half-assed.

Why am I doing this all of the sudden, when I've got far too many unfinished SFnal projects on my plate that need attention? The plain and simple fact of the matter is that if I don't do it right, nobody will. Too many of the major players in the demise of the Chicken Ranch have already departed this mortal coil, and the brothel was too much a part of Texas history for too long a time to let its memory simply weather away into dust (There's not even a historical marker in La Grange to show the nation's longest-operating brothel--predating the Civil War, fer crying out loud--ever existed). I intend to change that. But I need your help.

Feel free to spread the word.

Now Playing: Peter Gabriel Peter Gabriel 2

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:57 PM

    I seem to recall that the building ended up in Austin as a bank or something. Nothing concrete just a general memory. May be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main building was actually moved to Dallas and became a chicken restaurant before the owners went bust. It's fate since then is the subject of several conflicting rumors.

    ReplyDelete