Friday, January 16, 2009

Well crap

My PC just went belly-up. Over the last couple of days it'd started acting glitchy, internet browser windows opening at random, programs seizing up... I thought it might be a virus, but all my scans turned up negative. No spyware, either. But then my system diagnostics and repair software crashed every time I tried to run it. Something was seriously wrong, and I couldn't figure it out (although I still suspected a virus).

So I made up my mind to move what files I had on my hard drive over to my external drive and reinstall Windows. So what happens when I boot up this evening? Windows immediately crashes and I can't get it back, not even in safe mode. *sigh* Now I've got to dig up my Windows installation disk (which isn't where it's supposed to be, naturally) and try to boot from that, salvage what files I can, then re-install and wipe out whatever the cause of this problem is.

Until then, we're down to the laptop. Which has some glitchiness of its own, refusing to run Photoshop... egads, what a mess. At least I've been keeping most of my important files stored on the external drive of late...

Now Playing:

No comments:

Post a Comment