Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday Night Videos

Five consecutive days of 100-plus degree weather, prevented from being an entire month of 100-plus degree weather by a couple of 99-degree anomalies. The hottest June in Texas in recorded history. A crippling drought that may be the opening salvo in a 70-year mega-drought. I think I can safely say that It's Too Darn Hot.



I've been in a Cole Porter mood lately, but there's no performance video available online of Ella Fitzgerald singing this classic tune (which I insist is the best version of the song). The clip above is from the 2002 production of "Kiss Me Kate" in London's West End. Purists among you (I'm looking at you, Crider) will probably protest that the Ann Miller version is better, and while I allow that she gives a memorable performance with choreography that uses her legs to great effect, the fact that they censored the song by removing the telling references to the "Kinsey Report" is inexcusable in my book. Here's the Miller version so you can hear for yourself:




Previously on Friday Night Videos... "Weird Al" Yankovic.

Now Playing: The Kinks Lola vs. the Powerman and the Moneygoround
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment