Friday, April 08, 2016

Friday Night Videos

Friday Night Videos

I've posted way, way too many tributes to singers who've died this past year. The latest legend to go is Merle Haggard, who was actually supposed to play here in New Braunfels next week with Willie Nelson. They've played here a couple times in the past, and I kept telling myself I'd catch their show the next time they came through. Now it's too late. Everyone else is talking about his songs "Mama Tried" and "Okie from Muskogee," and while those are great songs, my favorite of his has always been "I Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink." There's no deeper hidden meanings or twists in the lyrics--it's just a straight-ahead, wallow-in-misery country song about a doomed relationship that makes no apologies for what it is. One has to admire such a strong sense of purpose.

Previously on Friday Night Videos... The Georgia Satellites.

Now Playing: Jimmy Buffett Feeding Frenzy
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment