Friday, September 02, 2016

On the road again, Chicken Ranch edition

Last night saw me and The Wife pay a visit to Inferno's Pizza in Gruene for the Comal County A&M Club's happy hour. I'd never been to Inferno's before, but I was impressed. Upscale, gourmet pizza and stromboli (along with other interesting menu items) at prices that weren't unreasonable. Recommended. Apart from the pizza, I had a lot of good conversations with the Former Students there about the Chicken Ranch and the real history behind "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." Believe it or not, we ran into one recent graduate who had never so much as heard of the Chicken Ranch, much less A&M's relatively close ties to the notorious brothel. As Good Aggies, The Wife and I rectified this gross oversight in his education, and he came away with a new perspective on his university. I gave away a bunch of koozies and sold a few books. Everyone had a pretty good time.

That was just the warm-up. Tonight (actually, in just a few hours) I'll be heading back to La Grange for the Fayette County Fair, where I'll be signing copies of Inside the Texas Chicken Ranch at the Fayette County Record booth from 6-10 p.m. So for any of you folks in the La Grange, Schulenburg, Weimar, Smithville or Columbus area, come on out and say hello.

After getting home and grabbing a few hours' sleep, I'm back on the road again, this time heading to College Station, where I'll be signing books at the MSC Bookstore at Texas A&M University from noon until 2:30 p.m. That's right before some little football game going on between the Aggie and the UCLA Bruins. I hope I don't siphon too many fans away from them. Again, stop by my table and say "Howdy!" if you're in the area.

Finally, the piece below was in yesterday's edition of the Austin American-Statesman. It's nice to be appreciated, and every little bit of press helps spread awareness for my book. Thanks to everyone who's helped to make this ride a fun one!

Now Playing: Glenn Frey The Best of Glenn Frey
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment