Tuesday, April 07, 2020

A Moment of Tiki

If this doesn't count as the most ridiculous thing I've ever done, I don't know what does. I've gone and started a YouTube series, "A Moment of Tiki." Goodness knows what I was thinking--I certainly don't have time to launch another project, yet here we are.

Here's the thing: Since I fell down the tiki rabbit hole very hard and very fast three years ago, I've been hard at work building my own tropical paradise in our backyard. Whilst doing so, I've been careful to document my building progress and technique, as evidenced by my build-along posts right here on this very blog. The ideas was that someone new to tiki might not have any idea how to do something, and rather than reinvent the wheel like I've done, they might take some inspiration from my efforts and save a little time and effort. I know I would've appreciated a bit more "how-to" than I was able to fine online when I was starting out. David Phantomatic of the Marooned Texas Tiki Podcast encouraged me to launch my own podcast devoted to tiki bar builds. I wasn't sure what good that would do anyone, as it's hard to convey a build technique through audio alone. But through the magic of YouTube, with its moving pictures and other chicanery, it might be possible to convey those same techniques. I listen to the Wood Talk podcast, and each of the hosts have their own video series where they do just that with various workshop projects. The idea is for me to replicate that, in a very small, and very niche way, with "A Moment of Tiki." Plus, there are cocktails.

The first two episodes are live now. I plan to launch a new episode every Monday through the end of April, then shift to a monthly schedule thereafter. If you could find it in your heart to mosey on over and give my videos a like, a kind comment or even gasp subscribe, I'd be grateful.

Now Playing: John Prine German Afternoon
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment