Wednesday, July 20, 2022

I'm writing about the Chicken Ranch again, because of course I am

Guess what, folks? I'm writing about the infamous Chicken Ranch again, because apparently that's what I do.

Follow: The Chicken Ranch, located in La Grange, Texas, purported to be the oldest continually-operating brothel in the U.S., was permanently closed in 1973 following a public campaign by flamboyant television personality Marvin Zindler. A Tony Award-winning Broadway musical was subsequently produced following said closure, and a motion picture starring Dolly Parton and Burt Reynolds came shortly thereafter. Both were called "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." You may have heard of 'em.

If I'm doing my math right (checks math) that means 2023 will mark the 50th anniversary of the closure. Which brings us to my point--the contract's signed and I turned in the manuscript a few days ago, so there's no longer any reason to keep this close to my vest. Next year The History Press will publish a revised and updated 50th Anniversary Edition of my book, Inside the Texas Chicken Ranch: The Definitive Account of the Best Little Whorehouse. In the years since the first edition came out, I've uncovered additional information, corrected some errors and interviewed new people. Gaps in the narrative are filled. Errors that slipped into the first edition have been corrected. In short, this is the definitive definitive version of the story. I hope y'all will enjoy it!

P.S. The first edition's not long for this world, so if you want to stock up on a potential collector's item, now's the time to get while the getting's good...

Now Playing: Tak Shindo Brass And Bamboo plus Accent On Bamboo
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment