Monday, August 01, 2022

A Moment of Tiki Episode 45: Tapa Light

A Moment of Tiki episode 45: Tapa Light
It's August 1, and that means it's time for a new episode of A Moment of Tiki! Remember how I admitted a few months back how I'd neglected the lighting elements of my home tiki bar and needed to rectify that oversight? In episode 45 I do just that, making a drum-style hanging lamp out of some fantastic Samoan Siapo tapa cloth I obtained from an estate sale some years ago.

Of course, nothing is ever easy and I'm not nearly as clever as some people seem to think I am. The tapa light seemed like it would be an easy build, and I suppose it would've been had I actually known what I was doing. But I didn't know what I was doing, having never done this before. So I made mistakes. Lots of them. Some mistakes weren't just wasted time, but actually made the job more difficult going forward. Fortunately, I perservered and came out the other end with a pretty nifty tapa lamp. If I ever make one of these again (and you know I'll do something like this again eventually, even if I don't have authentic Samoan tapa cloth to work with) the process should go much more smoothly because those mistakes I made? They're not easily forgotten.

Remember to let me know what you think in the comments!

Now Playing: The Phantomatics She Left Her Brain at the Drive-In
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment