Friday, June 27, 2014

Friday Night Videos

Henry Lee Summer's "I Wish I Had A Girl" probably wouldn't go over so well in the #yeseverywoman era. A valid case could be made about the lyrics' objectification of women, and as for the video... sheesh. Has there ever been such an in-your-face depiction of stalking and/or harassment? Still, Summer's antics are small potatoes compared to current misogynistic crap like "Blurred Lines," and Summer's portrayal as a sad-sack Romeo is ostensibly the butt of the joke. Even so, I really, really like this song. Of course, I'm always a sucker for the bluesy, guitar-driven Southern rock like Dan Baird and the Georgia Satellites put out. I could even envision a cover by John Mellencamp, so there's at least a little substance in there, somewhere.

Previously on Friday Night Videos... Louise Robey.

Now Playing: The Kinks Did Ya
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment