Friday, March 11, 2016

Friday Night Videos

Friday Night Videos

The wet weather we've had this week has put me in the mood for Billy Joel's "Downeaster 'Alexa'" off the Stormfront album. I saw him perform it live in Houston during the River of Dreams tour a few years later, and it impressed me how he tied the plight of the New England fisheries to that of the Gulf Coast shrimpers, who were going through a rough patch at the time (not as rough as what followed the Deep Horizon oil spill, but still). I know it's not much, but it always impresses me when performers take the time to absorb some of the local issues when they visit, something a little more substantive than "Hello Houston! You rock!" In any event, enjoy the rain, and enjoy the 1970s-style narrative approach taken in the song.

Previously on Friday Night Videos... Meredith Brooks.

Now Playing: Paul McCartney Unplugged
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment