Friday, January 19, 2018

Marooned: A Texas Tiki Podcast

Last week, during a welcome, sunny respite between arctic blasts, I had some guests over to the Lagoon of Mystery. David Phantomatic and Jennifer Tarte dropped by to interview myself and Lisa for an episode of Marooned: A Texas Tiki Podcast! We talked about my Lagoon of Mystery tiki bar build-along that has taken up a good part of the last year, our various tiki experiences--both the joys and disappointments--around the state and country, as well as the state of tiki in Texas in general. We also touch on Lisa's boudoir and pin-up photography with Secrets By Miss Lisa. It was a tremendous amount of fun, and I encourage everyone to give it a listen.

I made everyone cocktails, starting out with an old Don the Beachcomber's recipe, the Port au Prince, which has become one of my favorite mixed drinks. Then we had a round of Mermaid Water, which is dangerously close to being an over-sweet "Boat Drink," but everyone agreed it had potential and could likely be with bitters or additional sour to bring it into balance. After we finished taping, Lisa teased me that I never actually answered David's opening question: What books are in my cocktail library? D'oh! To set the record straight, my tiki cocktail recipe books currently consist of Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean, Beachbum Berry Remixed and Martin and Rebecca Cate's Smuggler's Cove. Just three books, but I've only managed to sample a tiny fraction of the recipes they contain. Here are some behind-the-scenes photos from the afternoon:

Now Playing: Various Artists The Calypso Calypsonians
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment