Tuesday, March 08, 2022

A Moment of Tiki: Ritual Rum Alternative and Tiki Drinkware

A Moment of Tiki
Episode 39 of A Moment of Tiki is now live amongst the interwebz! Despite my love of rum and tiki cocktails, I firmly believe that any good host (and good tiki bar) should have a solid selection of non-alcoholic beverages available for guests. It doesn't matter why someone isn't drinking at any particular point in time--what matters is that the host is ready to accommodate. So when a friend recommended Ritual Rum Alternative, I was intrigued. How did this rum substitute taste? Was it truly a replacement for rum? Would it work well in traditional cocktails? I tracked down a bottle and put it through its paces, reporting my thoughts here in this video.

Then in episode 38, I survey the state of tiki drinkware. Tiki is known for elaborate ceramic tiki mugs when it comes to imbibing the legendary tiki cocktails. But are tiki aficionados limited to this particular style of drinkware alone? Absolutely not! In this episode of A Moment of Tiki, I explore some of the options available to the home tiki bartender, including (but not limited to) tiki mugs, zombie and mai tai glasses, Siesta Ware, carved monekypod and Japanese sumi-e bamboo cups. There's a lot of cool stuff out there, and I know I'm barely scratching the surface. If you know of some great tiki drinking vessels I'm leaving out, drop me a note in the comments below!

Now Playing: The Killer Bees All Abuzz

Chicken Ranch Central

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that! I’m trying to find nonalcoholic spirits here in Japan—so far, no success. I jusr prefer to save the real alcohol for dpdcial occasions, but I’d have a fancy cocktail every night if there were good nonalcohol alternatives.

    ReplyDelete