Friday, June 23, 2023

Friday Night Videos

Friday Night Videos

Wow. Every once in a while I run across a video that just stops me cold. Bob Seger's "Night Moves" is one of those, and it just stopped me cold. Not because it's astounding and great, mind you. There's nothing wrong with it--the video is a lush, well-filmed exercise in nostalgia, filmed in the early 90s when videos were becoming more cinematic and shedding the cheesy excess of the 80s. What stunned me about it is that I'd never seen it before. Look, in the late 80s I was a pretty damn big Seger fan and when this video came out I was still putting MTV on as a default when I wanted something playing in the background. Those of you who know Seger remember that "Night Moves" was a hit back in 1976, before videos were a thing. So this retroactive video was made in 1994 to promote Seger's first greatest hits collection. The video prominently features Daphne Zuniga--of "Melrose Place" and "Spaceballs" fame--along with Matt LeBlanc, who was just months away from hitting it big with "Friends." And I have never, ever seen this video. I didn't even realize it existed. How is that even possible for me, who takes no small amount of pride in knowing absurdly inane trivia like this? Huh. Ain't it funny how the night moves...

Previously on Friday Night Videos... Harry Belafonte.

Now Playing: Ernie Menehune Waikiki Jackpot!
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment