Friday, February 02, 2024

Friday Night Videos

Friday Night Videos

Billy Joel has released his first new song in more than a decade with "Turn the Lights Back On." I like it a lot. Now, as an unapologetic Billy Joel fan who's seen him live twice, I'm not particularly objective here. It's not the best thing he's ever recorded, but it's a thoughtful, well-crafted piece with an elegiac theme that is as self-aware as "Famous Last Words," which closed out the last album he released more than 30 years ago now. Musically (if not themeatically) the new song would feel right at home on his later albums, "Stormfront," "The Bridge" or "River of Dreams." It really does sound like classic late-period Joel, in more ways than one. I was particularly struck by how his voice hasn't audibly aged like some other singers I dearly love who are getting up there in years. That is remarkable. I just hope this leads to a new album, because it's been too long.

Previously on Friday Night Videos... Kitty Wells.

Now Playing: Russ Garcia and His Orchestra Carioca
Chicken Ranch Central

2 comments:

  1. Terri Jo Mosley10:16 AM

    Thanks for the easy link to find the new song. I had been meaning to check it out ever since I heard about the release. BJ is one of my top five musical favorites, ever since I first encountered him in the late '70s on FM radio. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is *very* Billy Joel, which works for me since I've always enjoyed his music.

    ReplyDelete