Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Alas, Interzone...

Okay, so I'm apparently not plugged in to the publishing grapevine as well as I previously supposed. If I had, then I wouldn't just now be finding out--to my shock--that David Pringle is stepping down at Interzone. The Write Hemisphere has the details (what there are of them) here: New publisher/editor for InterZone

I knew Interzone had been suffering through cash flow problems of late, but really, when hasn't Interzone suffered through cash flow problems? Publication was somewhat erratic over the last few months, but our mail and forwarding issues have been spotty since we relocated to New Braunfels, and I didn't think much more of it. Boy, can I be dense sometimes.

Andy Cox, editor and publisher of The 3rd Alternative is taking over the venerable Interzone, and to my mind that's as good an arrangement as we can get. Andy knows the British publishing scene inside and out, and has effectively built up his little publishing empire. The science fiction focus of Interzone will dovetail nicely with his other publications.

But I'll miss David Pringle. Sure, he had an annoying habit of not responding all that promptly to correspondence, but he was the first editor to ever buy my work. And it wasn't a fit of temporary insanity. He continued to buy my work--fiction and interviews--as the years went on. It's not a stretch to say that Interzone has published as much of my writing output--or at least close to it--as all other markets combined. That's saying something about a relationship between a writer and an editor. Hopefully, I'll be able to establish a similar rapport with Andy Cox (especially now, since the British pound is making the dollar look like a peso in comparison) but I'll always be grateful for David giving me my start. I'm missing him already.

Now Playing: Clannad Clannnad 1

No comments:

Post a Comment