Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Two weeks, two editors

Last week it was my sad duty to report an end of an era, that David Pringle was stepping down at Interzone. Well, apparently it must be catching, because Gardner Dozois has just announced his resignation from Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. Both Scifi.com and Locus Online have brief stories up. The gist of it is that Gardner is giving up the Asimov's gig in order to concentrate more on his own fiction writing. That's quite plausible, as he seemed wistful regarding what his fiction career might have been had editing not intervened back when I interviewed him several years ago.

For purely selfish reasons, this is depressing. Sheila Williams is Gardner's successor, and while I'm sure she'll do a fine job, she doesn't know me from Adam. I had a relationship already established with Gardner. He's been the only Asimov's editor I've ever known. I came close to selling to him a couple of times. I was determined to someday write that story he couldn't resist. Unfortunatley, that window of opportunity is now closed. Sure, he may pick up a short story of mine for his Year's Best collection some day, but it's not the same, you know? This really is the end of an era.

Now Playing: Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass Greatest Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment