Thursday, July 29, 2004

Winston cover gallery

Lookie here what I found. I swear, there's something on the web devoted to everything. In this case, it's a cover gallery featuring the retro-cool illustrations from all 35 of those classic Winston Science Fiction series juveniles. Some of the covers are mediocre, true. But some have that quality of breathless excitement you seldom see these days, even if the modern artists are more technically accomplished.

And the authors who wrote these books! Lester del Rey, we already talked about. But Arthur C. Clarke, Poul Anderson, Chad Oliver, Donald Wollheim, Ben Bova, Jack Vance... wowsers! It's enough to make me want to become a collector. As if my bank account could stand it!

Now Playing: Jiggernaut In Search of More

2 comments:

  1. Bill Crider is responsible for this comment. He mentioned your blog about Winston covers. Dang, now I've got another blog to read. Every day. The list grows longer. Every day. But I'm quite pleased. I'm an old guy, 74-years young. Been an sf since about 1970. There sure are a lot of you young whipper-snappers writing sf these days, and I just can't keep up. But wish you the best of luck with your writing career. And keep up the blogging. frankdenton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank, you are wise beyond your years. Not for reading Bill's Blog, because there's something shifty about that Crider guy. But you're here, reading my Gibberish, so that counts for a lot! ;-)

    ReplyDelete