Monday, December 12, 2005

Goodness gracious me!

So last night Lisa and I are talking about what Christmas gifts we can give certain people on our list who are traditionally difficult to shop for, and the possibility of giving bottles of my homebrewed mead as gifts. Specifically, either my Holiday Spice Metheglin or my Raspberry Melomel. I'd tried some of the metheglin a few months back, and it was still a little wild. Not to mention the sediments in the bottles weren't all that aesthetically pleasing--at least not for a gift. But what of the melomel? I hadn't touched any of the stuff since last Christmas, and wasn't sure how it had aged. So I put one in the fridge to sample later that evening.



WOW! Talk about hitting the jackpot--smooth and fruity, with just a hint of sweetness (but not so much to make it syrupy) and enough acid to balance the whole package. And--get this--somehow, some way, fermentation hadn't stopped. I thought at bottling that everything was all bubbled out, but apparently those raspberries still had a wee bit o' sugar left in them. So the melomel I poured, to my surprise, wasn't a still mead at all, but rather a sparkling mead with a delightful little fizz to it. I'd only planned on a tiny taste, but the stuff was so good I ended up drinking half the bottle. It was that good.

The problem now, of course, is that I don't want to give any of it away, Christmas or no. It's mine, I tells ya! Mine! All mine!

Now Playing: Talking Heads Little Creatures

No comments:

Post a Comment