Thursday, September 14, 2006

Hey! Beer!

The airlock on my fermentation vessel has stopped bubbling, boys and girls. You know what that means? It means I have six gallons of fresh beer ready for bottling. Granted, it's flat beer at the moment, but a wee bit o' sugar in the bottles will soon fix that. Giving it six weeks to age before consumption at World Fantasy Con should be just about right--this stuff should be at its peak. Can't wait!

Now Playing: Various Music from the Motion Picture Pulp Fiction

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:15 AM

    Woo-hoo! I just set ten gallons of mead going and all my fermentation locks are bubbling like mad.

    I've got over a year to wait for this batch, so I'm enjoying how quick your beer is finished vicariously (I don't like beer).

    Am I the only person who checks fermentation locks several times a day and grins like a fool while doing it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When fermentation slows down, since I've got a plastic vessel, I'll press down on the lid to force out extra air. This lowers the pressure and the little cap inside the water trap sinks down. I'll check back later to see if it's risen again, which means fermentation is still going on. Yesterday the cap stayed down.

    I particularly like the yeasty smells that fill my office at the height of fermentation. My daughters like helping me bottle. It's a win-win for everyone!

    ReplyDelete