Monday, December 11, 2006

Owie revisited

I still have that wretched, nasty ulcer on the side of my tongue. Thanks for asking. The weekend was miserable, with any foodstuff even remotely resembling semi-solid matter sending me into convulsions of pain. The good news is that it isn't getting worse, and may actually be in the initial stages of healing. Alternating doses of aspirin and ibuprofen helped me through the weekend. Chloraseptic does seem to have some mild sedative effects on the pain now, although the impact is fleeting and I'm running through the stuff at an alarming rate. Oragel (and what vile, nasty stuff that is) has proven capable of dulling the pain, but also tends to numb my teeth and lips as well. And did I mention it brings to mind gargling with kerosene? I've never gargled with kerosene before, and believe you me, I have even less desire after this sad experience.

I'm also fairly certain I know what the cause of this wicked affliction is: otherwise known as hand, foot and mouth disease. No, smartass, not hoof and mouth disease. It's supposedly quite rare in adults, which means I'm one of a select few to experience it post-puberty. Joy. Still have no idea where I picked up the virus, since none of my kids have it. I wouldn't have even figured that out had it not been for a deep blister forming on my left index finger--other than that (and the obvious ulcer on my tongue) I've been asymptomatic. Even so, I can say with relatively little fear of contradiction that this is not something you want to pick up.

Now Playing: Billy Joel Streetlife Serenade

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:14 PM

    Well, if you'd quit licking your finger after you scratched between your toes, you wouldn't have this problem!

    (Pervert...)

    Mikal

    ReplyDelete