Saturday, March 31, 2007

Caerulean blue

Last year about this time I bought a passiflora caerulea from the Texas A&M Horticultural Gardens spring plant sale. Although it grew all summer, it set few flowers--a grand total of three. I started to grow concerned that maybe I'd gotten a dud--occasional plants grown from seed have a genetic mix that makes them reluctant to flower. Well, no worries on that count this year. The vine is growing like gangbusters and has set well over 100 buds. Here's the first one I was able to get a shot of a day back, and four more flowers opened today.

Caerulea


By this time next week, half the vine will be in flower. Plus, my p. caerulea var. Constance Elliott (a white flowered variation), which didn't set a single flower last year has a dozen or so buds growing as well. I'm thinking I'm going to have to set up a gallery to show off all the cool passion flowers I'll have this year.

Now Playing: Jim Croche Photographs & Memories: His Greatest Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment